Looking for fun things to do in Boston in February?
Winter sports to do and view still keep everyone active and entertained - skating, skiing, or watching the action on the ice and court as the Boston Bruins and Boston Celtics entertain the crowds at TD Garden.
For college hockey fans, the Beanpot Tournament continues its 50+ years of intense rivalry.
But you'll also find plenty of other entertaining February events - Chinese New Year, Valentine's Day, the New England Boat Show, and more!
February often brings a mixture of bright and sunny almost-warm days, and cold snowy periods - plus everything in between. It's a wonderful time of the year to walk around with a camera and photograph all your favorite spots without tree leaves hiding them.
If you're planning what to do in Boston in February, here are 10 fun events and activities to consider.
1. Join the Rivalry at the Boston Beanpot Tournament
If you think competition at professional sports events gets fierce, just wait till you see the intense rivalry on the ice - and in the stands - at the Annual Boston Beanpot Hockey Tournament, providing zip to Boston sports since 1952.
Held on the first and second Mondays in the month, the Beanpot Tournament pits Boston College, Boston University, Harvard, and Northeastern University against each other.
BU holds the biggest number of trophies - so expect a lot of excitement as the others try to seize the championship!
Beanpot Schedule & Tickets:
More winter sports - schedules and ticket information:
2. Find the Best Winter Break Activities
Schools throughout the Northeast take a week off during December for winter break - and Boston attracts lots of visitors as a top destination. With world-class museums, the Freedom Trail, plenty of outdoor activities, and lots of low-cost family-friendly activities, Boston offers something for everyone.
3. Celebrate Super Bowl Sunday
Naturally, the Super Bowl is much better when our home town team, the New England Patriots, competes in it!
Even if you're not at the games, you can still join in the fun with other fans anywhere there's a big screen. You'll find lots and lots of them, as well as good food, drinks, and other sports fans at Boston sports bars. For more choices, check out Boston bars near Fenway, as well as bars near the Garden.
Remember, take the T - or take a designated driver.
4. Declare Your Love . . . Celebrate Valentine's Day
Spend the night or a weekend in one of the Boston hotels offering Valentine's Day packages, and enjoy special amenities such as a bottle of champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, or perhaps a wood-burning fireplace in your room.
Plenty of romantic and fun events take place on Valentine's Day - so start making you're plans now!
5. See Something New - Go on a Tour!
Think you know Boston?
Well, there's always something new to see, and a tour can often give you the best insights and special views. Plus they are a lot of fun. Here are a few for you to try during February:
- Boston Brewery Tour - You'll sample 15-20 different beers and ciders and visit 3 popular Boston brewpubs and gastropubs during this fascinating insiders look at Boston's thriving craft beer scene Find out more
- Wrentham Outlet Village - A luxury coach takes you to Wrentham Village Premium Outlets where everyday discounts on designer and name brands let you save 25%-65%, and sometimes even more. A frer VIP coupon book gives you even bigger savings. Find out more
- Boston Super Saver: Cambridge, Lexington, & Concord Tour plus 2 Days on the Hop-On Hop-Off Boston Trolley - plus Bonus Mapparium Visit - This wonderful tour takes you to see Revolutionary War and Civil War sites in the areas three most important historic towns and cities outside of Boston. Then explore Boston at your own pace on the hop-on hop-off trolley with stops at 16 key locations, and enjoy the dazzling stained-glass Mapparium. Find out more
More Tours of Boston
These fun trolley tours, bus tours, and indoor destinations will let you enjoy the best of the Boston even when February weather is chilly!
6. Enjoy Big Savings on Hotels
If you're reading this and wondering, "Is Boston the perfect place to spend a long weekend in February, the answer is "Yes!" As you can tell from this list of things to do in Boston in February and the Boston Events Calendar for February, you'll find lots to do here this month. And as a bonus, you'll get cheap hotel rates.
Boston hotel rates start to rise again in March - but in February, you'll still find winter rates for half or even less of what you'd pay in July. Boston is on sale, and it's a great time to stay in a Boston luxury boutique or hotel with in-room fireplaces.
How to find a bargain rate? Check Trip Advisor which searches all the big booking agencies to find special deals, and then shows you the best rates and discounts, plus recent reviews by other visitors.
7. Celebrate Chinese New Year
Chinese New Year falls on the first day of the first month of the Lunar New Year - January 28 in 2017 - but most celebrations in Boston take place in February.
The annual Chinese New Year Festival in Chinatown brings in the New Year with a bang as local Chinese martial arts groups parade through the streets performing the famous Lion Dance, accompanied by drums, cymbals, gongs - and huge firecracker explosions.
More about Boston's Chinese New Year Parade
8. Dine in Chinatown
In honor of Chinese New Year, try a new-to-you restaurant in Chinatown - somewhere you've never been before. Here are a few recommendations for some favorites:
- 5 fun restaurants in Chinatown - Check out our suggestions for Chinatown dining - including a couple of the city's trendiest restaurants
- Dim Sum restaurants - Dim sum is the Chinese equivalent of brunch - lots of fun because you pick small plates of tasty food from carts or order off a special menu
9. Plan a Day on the Slopes - Or an Hour on the Ice
Even when Boston has no snow at all, Massachusetts ski areas near Boston make and groom it daily - so head for the slopes for a day or more of fun. For even steeper slopes and mountains, you'll find plenty of wonderful New England ski vacation resorts just a couple of hours away.
Have only an hour or two of free time during your visit to Boston? Head over to Frog Pond on Boston Common, rent skates, and go ice skating right in Boston.
10. Dream about Spring . . . Visit the New England Boat Show
The New England Boat Show, held during the last week of the month at the Boston Convention and Exposition Center in the South Boston Waterfront, is the biggest boating event in the Northeast. With boats up to 50' long on display and over 40,000 visitors, you'll find plenty of excitement.
If you're coming to Boston for this event, check out nearby South Boston Waterfront hotels.
Get details about the boat show on the Boston Event Calendar for February.
Desperate for spring scenes? Check out spring flowers in Boston.