Almost every flower in Boston seems to burst into bloom by Mother's Day, making this a perfect time to do something special with your Mom.
Here are our top suggestions for celebrating Mother's Day in Boston, which falls on Sunday, May 9 this year.
To help you choose, we've created a few Mom "profiles" - and then matched them to Boston Mother's Day events, activities, and other fun things to do together.
There's something here for everyone . . . and best of all, they're sure to please your mom - and you.
Pick the one that best fits your mom (and perhaps you too).
You'll both have fun - and you'll create new memories to savor for a lifetime.
Top photo: Golden tulips blooming in Boston's Public Garden on Mother's Day Weekend
Treat Your Mom to a Relaxing Harbor Cruise
Your Mom: Busy helping others, sometimes stressed, and deserves a break
Treat her to a fun, relaxing cruise around Boston Harbor aboard the Northern Lights classic 1940s-style commuter yacht or Adirondack III, Boston's own "tall ship" schooner.
Enjoy the music, treat your mom to the beverage of her choice, and smile as you watch her relax and enjoy the great views.
Boston Harbor Cruises on Sunday, Mothers Day
- Adirondack III Day Sail - Relax with your mom on this afternoon sail
- Boston Harbor Cruise on Northern Lights - Toast your mom with a drink from the bar
- Adirondack III Sunset Sail - Watch the setting sun turn the sky brilliant colors
- Sunday Evening Jazz Cruise - End Mother's Day on the perfect note with live jazz as the sun sets behind the Boston skyline
More Cruises on Friday & Saturday, Mothers Day Weekend
- Live Irish Music Cruise - Kick back and enjoy live Irish tunes
- Brunch Cruise - Savor a delicious 3-course brunch and a glass of bubbly
- Northern Lights Sunset Cruise - Watch the sun set as you treat your mom to a cocktail and apps
Take Your Mom for a Mother's Day Brunch
Your Mom: Loves to cook, and made a fantastic (or at least edible, most of the time) dinner every night when you were growing up
But let's face it...that adds up to almost 10,000 meals (not to speak of breakfasts and school lunches) - so this is her time to enjoy a meal cooked by someone else.
Here are suggestions for where to treat her to a special Mother's Day brunch:
- Miel Brasserie (InterContinental Hotel on the downtown waterfront; website) - Celebrate your mom with French flair at brunch featuring Chef Didier Montarou's mouth-watering Mother's Day menu; all entrées include the homemade dessert bar with strawberry shortcake.
- Peregrine (Whitney Hotel, Beacon Hill; website) - Enjoy patio dining and Peregrine's Italian coastal specialties such as dressed oysters, spring risotto, radiatore pasta, confit lamb breast, and lemon pistachio cake.
- Cafe Luna (612 Main Street, Kendall Square, Cambridge; website) - Take your mom to brunch (9am-4pm) and choose from Cafe Luna's huge brunch m menu with specialty eggs benedict (steak and lobster, crab cake, prosciutto with roasted fig jam, smoked salmon and avocado), Mexican churro French toast, shrimp tacos, wings and waffles, lemon ricotta pancakes, and lots more. Dine indoors or at a sidewalk table.
- Q Restaurant (660 Washington Street, Chinatown/Theatre District) - Share Mongolian hot pot with your mom, or choose from the extensive Chinese entrees and sushi selections.
- Shy Bird (1 Broadway at the corner of Third Street, Cambridge; website) - Choose from the brunch selections or share one of their special rotisserie chickens. Very nice terrace for outdoor seating; friendly vibe.
- Bistro du Midi (272 Boylston Street, Back Bay; website) - Start with a selection of Viennoiserie or a charcuterie board, follow with a main course such as salade Niçoise, duck confit on a Belgium waffle, bavette steak and eggs, or a croque madame, and end with a chocolate hazelnut torte and you'll almost believe you're in Paris for Mother's Day.
- Stephanie's on Newbury (190 Newbury St; website) - Relax with your mom on Stephanie's huge patio and treat yourselves to her favorite brunch classics: cinnamon monkey break, a smoked salmon platter, New England clam chowder, a skillet breakfast with eggs, smoked bacon, maple sausage, and baked cheddar home fries, and an ice cream sundae. Probably the biggest terrace dining space in Back Bay.
Forgot to make reservations? Take your mom for Dim Sum in Boston's Chinatown - but pretend that's what you were planning all along. You'll see other mom/child couples doing the same thing.
More fun possibilities (because who doesn't love pizza?):
Join the Duckling Day Parade on Mother's Day
You are the Mom . . . The proud Mom of - let's be honest - the cutest, smartest, and most talented toddler on the planet
So dress your cutie in yellow duckling suit (Amazon offers a big selection) and join the Duckling Day Parade from Boston Common to the Public Garden - the perfect way to celebrate Mother's Day!
Pose by the Make Way for Ducklings statues for the perfect photo.
Please note: The Duckling Day Parade will be virtual this year - find information here.
Picnic in the Arboretum on Boston's Lilac Day
Your Mom: Loves the simple things in life, and lavender just happens to be her favorite color.
Pack a picnic lunch and blanket, and head over to Arnold Arboretum for Lilac Sunday, which always falls on Mother's Day.
Your mom will love the intoxicating scent of the many lilacs in full bloom.
Take Your Mom Shopping on Mother's Day
Your Mom: Loves shopping, but doesn't really need anything.
So for Mother's Day, get her something she wants.
Head over to SoWa Market, Boston's largest outdoor artisan market at 500 Harrison Ave in Boston's South End where you'll find a huge array of unique jewelry, clothing, crafts, gourmet foods, art, plus lots more.
Buy your mom something she loves! More about SoWa Open Market
Please note: Due to the pandemic, only SoWa Farmers Market will be open in May. However, vendors for the SoWa Arts Market will be there too - so you can still get your mom something wonderful - along with some fresh produce and just-baked bread.
You'll Aways Have Paris... for an Unforgettable Mother's Day Celebration
You: Once upon a time, the world's rudest teenager.
Your Mom . . . always (ok, almost always) patient and understanding.
Now (drumroll) . . . it's payback time.
Yes, it's a splurge. But Paris is only 6 hours from Boston by air. Your mom deserves this!
Imagine your mom's face when you announce you're taking her to the City of Light for Mother's Day Weekend. Imagine how much fun you'll have being there with her.
Find more information about what to do and see in Paris on our sister website, Paris Discovery Guide. We even suggest some awesome ways to spend Mother's Day in Paris. So book tickets for you and your mom now!
Paris Tip: France celebrates Mother's Day on the last Sunday in May. So if you're coming from the U.S. where Mother's Day always falls on the second Sunday in May, you'll get to celebrate this special occasion with your mom twice.
When can you travel safely to Paris again? Mother's Day, unfortunately, is too early to travel this year because of the ongoing pandemic - but based on greater availability of the vaccine in Europe (and much better distribution here), the current guess is that travel may be safely allowed again by as early as September or October.
More Things to Do on Mother's Day
Go watch the Sox at Fenway - But first, make sure your mom loves this idea as much as you do! Check the schedule and get tickets
Go for a Swan Boat ride in the Public Garden - This is especially fun if your Mom used to take you when you were little. Find out more
Take your mom to a show in Boston's Theatre District - Find out what's scheduled
Is your mom a craft beer fan? Try one of these unique experiences:
Pamper your Mom with a Spa Weekend - Consider these 3 luxurious Boston hotels with acclaimed on-site spas (tip - look for spa packages when you book):
Boston's 5-star Mandarin Oriental Hotel boasts a luxurious spa with 8 private suites, pampering spa programs, and treatments designed to optimize physical and mental well-being.
The Ritz-Carlton Boston offers a unique combination including state of the art spa indulgence, numerous fitness classes, and specially-designed Mind Body Studios within the spectacular on-site Sports Club/LA.
The Langham Boston's Chuan Body + Soul Spa brings together principles of traditional Chinese medicine and speciality treatments. Your mom will enjoy the great fitness facilities and indoor pool too.
Spending Mother's Day Weekend in Boston & Need a Place to Stay?
Use this map to locate Boston hotels and apartments in your favorite part of the city: