The Boston Events Calendar for March 2022 is packed with fun things to do, including Dine Out Boston, the Saint Patrick's Day Parade which normally which attracts around 1 million spectators, the Boston Flower and Garden Show.
Look for exciting shows in Boston's Theatre District and plenty of concerts by top performers.
March Holidays & Important Dates in Boston:
- March 5 - Boston Massacre took place in 1770 (canceled for 2021)
- March 14 - Daylight Savings Time begins (set your clocks 1 hour forward!)
- March 17 - St Patrick's Day - and also Evacuation Day, when the Seige of Boston by the British ended in 1776 (official Boston holiday)
- March 20 - Whale Watching Cruises begin for the season (weekends only for the first few weeks and capacity is limited to 15 participants per cruise right now, so don't wait to get your tickets)
You may even feel the first hints of spring - and perhaps enjoy the return of warm weather.
Check out all our top recommendations for fun things to do in Boston in March, make your hotel reservations (you'll find some great rates) - and start planning your visit now!
Top Photo: St Patrick's Day Parade in South Boston
St Patrick's Day Parade 2022
Boston's famous St Patrick's Day Parade takes place in South Boston ("Southie"), and starts at the Broadway T station on the Red Line.
Don't forget to wear green and bring a camera!
When: Sunday, March 20, 1pm
Closest T station: Red Line/Broadway
See our recommendations for the most convenient places to stay - especially if you're also catching the Dropkick Murphy's concert
Dine Out! Boston
When: March 14 - 28
Where: Top Boston restaurants - many choices in every neighborhood!
- Lunch: $15, $20, $25
- Dinner: $28, $33, $38
Twice each year, you can enjoy fine dining at very affordable prices at the best Boston restaurants. Sample the latest "hot" restaurants where normally you'd pay much more, visit old favorites, and explore a few places you've never tried before.
This year is a little different due to the pandemic but even though the roster of participants has shrunk a bit, you'll find some new options including takeout, delivery, and even outdoor patio dining - a welcome prospect as the days grow longer and (most of the time) warmer. Enjoy!
Check for participating Dine Out Boston restaurants and other information. And don't forget to check our tips for getting the most value out of Dine Out Week!
St Patrick's Day Weekend Boston Harbor Cruises
- St Patrick's Brunch Cruise - Savor an Irish breakfast and Irish drink as you enjoy a live Irish Trad Session on board the Northern Lights on this cruise around Boston Harbor - March 12, 13, 17
- Live Irish Music Cruise - Enjoy live Irish tunes on this fun sightseeing cruise around the Harbor - March 11, 12, 13, 17
Other Popular Cruises on the Northern Lights during March:
- Northern Lights Sunset Cruise - Grab a cocktail and apps from the bar and then relax as you watch the sun set on this sail around the Harbor, just in time to catch the USS Constitution fire its cannons as the sun dips down past the horizon
- Winter City Lights Cruise on Northern Lights - Through March 5
- Boston Harbor Cruise on Northern Lights - Soak up Boston's unique sites and rich history on this comfortable sightseeing cruise around the Harbor - perfect friends and family experience! Drinks and small bites are available for purchase at the bar - Starts in March
- Brunch Cruise - Savor a delicious 3-course brunch on this relaxing sightseeing cruise around Boston Harbor - Starts in March
Boston Concerts & Shows - March 2021
Top March Concerts in Boston
Enter DISCOVERY 10 to save 10% on TicketNetwork & TicketLiquidator tickets
- Monsieur Perine - March 14 - City Winery
- Ana Moura - March 20 - Berklee Performance Center
- Morbid: A True Crime Podcast - March 26 - Wilbur Theatre
- Sampa the Great - March 27 - Sinclair Music Hall
Schedules & Tickets:
Boston Whale Watching Season 2021 Begins!
Boston whale watching cruises start on March 20. Due to the pandemic, they're only happening on weekends until mid-April and are currently limited to 15 participants per cruise, so don't wait to get your tickets!
These 3-4 hours excursions take you through Boston Harbor and out to Stellwagen Bank, a protected marine area about 25 miles east of the city. Marine biologists or naturalists serve as guides to make sure you don't miss a thing.
Be sure to bring your camera!
Boston Theater & Shows for March 2021
Top March Shows in Boston
- Summer: The Donna Summer Musical - Emerson Colonial Theatre - Through March 6
- Freestyle Love Supreme - Emerson Colonial Theatre - March 18, 19, 23, 24, 25, 26, 30, 31
- Hamilton - Boston Opera House - Through March 12, 2023
Schedules & Tickets
Enter DISCOVERY 10 to save 10% on TicketNetwork & TicketLiquidator tickets
Top Hotels near Boston's Theatre District
Enjoy your Boston performance or show experience to the fullest when you stay in one of the nearby Theatre District hotels, such as the luxurious Hyatt Regency:
More top Theatre District hotels:
Boston Flower & Garden Events
St Patrick's Day 5K Race in Southie
This year, the race will be run as a virtual fundraiser for important programs at the Edgerley Family South Boston Boys & Girls Club’s youth development and teen programs - so don't skip it!!! You can find details here: https://www.bgcb.org/2021-st-patricks-day-road-race-est-1940
Here's what usually happens, in case you want to plan ahead for next year when life in Boston will be back to normal:
Just a couple of hours before the big St Patrick's Day Parade starts on Sunday, March 15th, the St Patrick's Day 5K Road Race kicks off at 11am from the Edgerley Family South Boston Boys and Girls Club at 230 6th Street.
Head over to cheer on the 1,750 runners, who are carrying on a long tradition - this race first started back in 1940. You can identify the first 650 entrants by their official long-sleeved race shirts designed by one of the race's most famous sponsors, the Dropkick Murphys, Celtic punk rock group with Southie origins who will again be playing their annual St Pat concerts in Boston this year.
A live concert by Rad Youth Rock-Pop Band will take place before the race.
The route goes from West 6th Sth Street to Dorchester Street, down E. Broadway to Farragut Statue, back up E. Broadway to W. Broadway, and then down E Street to West 6th.
Sponsorship money and donations raised by the marathon racers goes to support South Boston youth programs. More details and registration at the South Boston Boys and Girls Club website (click "Get Involved"). If you don't want to run but want to help, they're also looking for volunteers!
Bruins March Home Game Schedule at the Garden
The Garden's convenient location next to North Station and close to Faneuil Marketplace makes it super-easy to get to.
Don't miss the chance to see Boston's hockey team, winner of 6 Stanley Cup championships!
Enter DISCOVERY 10 to save 10% on TicketNetwork & TicketLiquidator tickets
Hotels near TD Garden
Coming to an event at the Garden? Spend the night or the weekend at a nearby hotel, such as the glamorous Onyx (shown in photo), part of the Kimpton hotel family:
More top hotels near the Garden:
More about TD Garden: Schedule, directions, best ticket prices
Celtics Basketball at TD Garden - March
You can cheer the Boston Celtics home games at TD Garden throughout March - so be sure to get your Celtics tickets, wear green, and go support our home team!
Tickets are affordable, TD Garden's central city location is super-easy to reach (just take the T to North Station), and plenty of neighborhood sports bars and clubs mean you can have a lot of fun before and after the game.
Best Boston Harbor Cruises
Fun Boston Harbor Cruises To Do Right Now:
- Northern Lights Sunset Cruise - Grab a drink from the bar and watch the sun set on this sail around the Harbor
- Fall Foliage Brunch Cruise on Northern Lights - Enjoy a tasty gourmet brunch, fall foliage, and panoramic views as you cruise around Boston Harbor
- Fall Foliage Lunch Cruise on Northern Lights - Sip hot cider as you enjoy lunch on this relaxing fall foliage cruise to celebrate seasonal colors
- Adirondack III Day Sail - Enjoy cool breezes on this sightseeing sail around Boston Harbor and the Inner Harbor Islands - Ends Oct 16
- Adirondack III Sunset Sail - Relax as the setting sun turns the sky brilliant colors during this calming sunset sailing experience - Ends Oct 16
- Brunch Cruise - Savor a delicious 3-course brunch on this relaxing sightseeing cruise around Boston Harbor
- Gift Card - Give the perfect gift!
Starting in November:
- Cocoa & Carols Holiday Cruise - Sip hot chocolate and treats as you listen to jazzy holiday favorites on this festive cruise - Book now
- Holiday Brunch Cruise - See historic sights and panoramic views around Boston Harbor with friends and family as you enjoy this relaxing cruise with brunch, hot chocolate, and holiday cheer - Book now
- Holiday Sunset Cruise - Watch passing landmarks as soft music plays in the background and the sunset displays brilliant colors behind Boston's city skyline - Find out more
- An Irish Christmas Carol Cruise - Get into the holiday spirit on the Northern Lights as you raise your glass and toast the holidays with festive holiday music playing in the background on this popular Harbor cruise - Book now
Fun Boston Tours & Adventures for March
Featured New Hotel for March: Revolution Hotel in Boston's South End
40 Berkeley Street, Boston's South End
A trendy vibe, "micro" guest rooms, and - dare we say it, cheap rates position the new Revolution Hotel as one of Boston's most attractive affordable hotels, especially considering its close distance (5-10 minute walk, depending on where you're going) to Downtown Boston. Free high-speed wifi is a nice bonus.
What to See in Boston's Museums - March
MFA Boston - Current & Up-Coming Shows
- Women Take the Floor - Female artists' visions & voices - Through May 3, 2021
- Writing the Future: Basquiat and the Hip-Hop Generation - See the transition from urban street art to museum walls - Through May 16, 2021
- Black Histories, Black Futures - Teen curators take over - Through June 20, 2021
- Collecting Stories: The Invention of Folk Art - February 6 - January 9, 2022
- Paper Stories, Layered Dreams: The Art fo Ekua Holmes - Distinctive vision and commitment to Black imagery by a Roxbury artist/book illustrator - February 27 - Oct 17, 2021
Museum (and show) admission: $25 adults; free entrance with Boston Discount Cards (GoBoston card and Boston CityPASS). Free admission on Wednesdays after 4pm, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Lunar New Year Celebration Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, & Indigenous Peoples' Day.
Institute of Contemporary Art/Boston - Current & Future Shows
- i'm yours: Encounters with Art in Our Times - New acquisitions and iconic works - Through May 23, 2021
- Beyond Infinity: Contemporary Art after Kusama - Her pioneering ideas and artistic vision - Through July 18, 2021
- Eva LeWitt - Huge colorful hanging wall sculpture made from coated mesh fabric - Jan 16, 2021 - Oct 23, 2022
Admission: $15 adults; free entrance with GoBoston card and Boston CityPASS. Closed on Mondays. Free admission on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Presidents' Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, & Indigenous Peoples' Day.
Not Sure about Boston Neighborhood Locations?
This neighborhood map should help you get oriented. You can find a list of top attractions in each neighborhood here.
Need a more details? Here are our favorite free and low-cost Boston maps.
2 Easy Ways to Save BIG in Boston on Tours, Cruises, Admissions
Best way to save in Boston. Save up to 50% when you take a Boston Harbor cruise or Duck Boat tour, visit Plimouth Plantation, the New England Aquarium, Museum of Science, Museum of Fine Arts, Fenway Park Tour, and more. Compare to find out which one is best for you.
Boston's Irish Pubs: More Places to Hear Irish Music 2021
Boston has the best Irish pubs in the world, outside of Ireland - and almost as many to choose from. Thanks to the large number of Boston residents who hail from the Emerald Isle, you'll hear plenty of Irish accents on both sides of the bar in many of these pubs.
Needless to say, St. Patrick's Day is a huge event at Boston's Irish pubs . . . expect Irish music, dancing, green beer, and week-long celebrations.
Almost every Boston neighborhood has several or more Irish pubs - the Italian North End and Chinatown are the only 2 exceptions that come to mind.
Although some of these pubs feature live Irish music at least some of the time, almost all of them normally bring in terrific musicians around St. Patrick's Day - unfortunately, not possible for most of them this year due to Covid restrictions, but stay tuned in case that changes. Even without live music, though, you'll have a lot of fun!
Use our guide to Boston Irish pubs to find a spot to celebrate St. Patrick's Day - and be sure to wear green!
Museum of Science Exhibits
Arctic Adventure: Exploring with Technology - Find an Arctic fox, travel across a glacier, & more in this immersive exhibit
Science Behind Pixar: See how art and science create magic
Design Engineering Workshop - Design, build, and test solutions for everyday problems
With fascinating permanent exhibits for all ages, there's always something to see, do, and learn. Here are just a few of the most popular: Butterfly Garden (extra fee), Colossal Fossil: Triceratops Cliff, Cosmic Light, Dinosaurs, Hall of Human Life, Live Animal Care Center, Mathematica, Nanotechnology, Natural Mysteries, New England Habitats, The Light House - plus 17 more!
Where: Boston's Museum of Science
When: Daily, 9am-5pm; open until 9pm on Fridays
Admission: $29 general museum admission ($24 for kids). Buy online to skip the line. Get free museum admission when you have a GoBoston Discount card or Boston CityPASS card.
Imax Theater and Planetarium: Additional fees apply
Carousel Opening Day at the Greenway
Ride a seal, whale, peregrine falcon, or one of the other hand-carved creatures inspired by Boston Harbor wildlife and the original Shawmut peninsula on the unique 34-seat carousel on the Rose Kennedy Greenway across from the Boston Marriott Long Wharf.
The carousel opens for the season on March 27 (to be confirmed for 2021).
After your ride, stroll over to Faneuil Market for a treat.
Boston Irish Film Festival
March is the month for all things Irish, and the 4-day Boston Irish Film Festival at the Somerville Theatre in Davis Square will make you think you're back in the Emerald Isle. This year's fest features 30 Irish productions, with A Bump Along the Way directed by Shelly Love, The Last Right directed by Aoife Crehan, The Bird and the Whale by Carol Freeman, and 27 more films you may not see anywhere else in the US.
Films focus on Ireland and Irish culture, and what it means to be Irish in the 21st century. More than 3,000 fans attend this popular film series.
Coming to Boston specifically for the Festival? Here are three Cambridge hotels on the T's Red Line (1-2 stops from Davis Square, but also within easy walking distance) to consider:
- Porter Square Hotel - Rates & Reviews
- Charles Hotel Rates & Reviews
- Harvard Square Hotel Rates & Reviews
When: March 19-22
Closest T stations: Red Line/Davis Square (Somerville Theatre)
Cost: Tickets start at $15 and multi-film packages are available at a discount
Tickets & full schedule: www.irishfilmfestival.com
Harpoon St Patrick's Day
Normally, Harpoon Brewery (306 Northern Ave, South Boston Waterfront) would be kicking off their 2021 St Patrick's Day Festival with a 2-day beer festival at their brewery featuring a large selection of Harpoon and UFO beers, handmade brewery pretzels and food for purchase, and non-stop live music from Joshua Tree, Colum Cille Pipes & Drums, Dicey Riley with Dicey Riley and the Celtic Rock Band, and other local bands throughout the weekend.
But, of course, this year isn't normal. The good news is that even though the festival isn't taking place, Harpoon is offering a variety of other great options. You can join them at the Beer Hall for a pint and a traditional house-made Irish meal (different menu every night) almost every day between March 12 and 17. But if you're prefer to celebrate at home, they'll have tasty kits complete with Harpoon swag for you to pick up and if you live nearby in South Boston, they'll even deliver.
Check their website for all the details!
More Things to Do in Boston in March
More Ways to Experience Boston in March
March marks the beginning of spring in Boston - a perfect time to get out and see the city! These fun trolley tours, bus tours, and special destinations let you enjoy the best of Boston!
Boston Massacre Reenactment
March 5 marks the 250th anniversary of the Boston Massacre, an explosion of tension between Boston Colonists and the occupying British troops in 1770 that ended with five dead Bostonians and set the stage for the American Revolution five years later.
The annual reenactment may place this year (if it's not cancelled due to the pandemic) during a day-long event on Saturday, March 6. From 1pm-5pm, look for costumed reenactors portraying a variety of citizens from 1770 Boston who will share their experiences with British troops who landed in the city in October 1768 and stayed on as no-so-welcome "guests." These historical vignettes will take place between in the areas along the Freedom Trail between the Old State House (206 Washington Street) and Old South Meeting House (310 Washington Street).
The Boston Massacre reenactment will take place near the Old State House at about 7pm. For more information, see the event website.
Dropkick Murphys St Patrick's Day Concerts
Normally you can see Boston's favorite Celtic punk rock group, the Dropkick Murphys play their iconic favorites at House of Blues, Big Night Live, and Encore Boston Harbor to celebrate St Patrick's Day in their home town.
Their Boston shows usually sell out far in advance - maybe because their "Shipping Up To Boston" song is practically the city's official anthem. But unfortunately, no shows are scheduled for March at the current time due to the ongoing pandemic. At the current time, the closest Dropkick Murphys concert site to Boston is in France in June.
Boston Flower and Garden Show - Canceled for 2021
Dream about spring as you gaze at the lush gardens and gorgeous floral displays at the Boston Flower and Garden Show at the Seaport World Trade Center. This year's special theme is "Garden Party: Celebrating Friends & Family," and you'll find lots of inspiration and tips about making the right garden size and plant type choices -plus numerous display gardens for inspiration.
The weather outside may not be balmy, but all the displays of horticultural tools and products, garden furniture and ornaments, and hand-made crafts will make warm temperatures seem a little bit closer.
Please note: We are currently unable to confirm if this event will take place in 2021 due to the ongoing pandemic.
Where to stay nearby:
- Seaport Hotel - Right across the street from the World Trade Center
- Westin Boston Waterfront - About 2 blocks away, next to the Boston Expo and Convention Center
- More South Boston Waterfront hotels near the Flower Show
When: Typically the first or second weekend in March - but dates (if any) for 2021 are TBD.
Where: Seaport World Trade Center, South Boston Waterfront
Cost: $22 Adults, $19 Seniors (65+), $12 Children 6 - 17; Children 5 and younger are free; Wed-Sat after 5pm $16 (to be updated)
Where to eat nearby: Seaport restaurants overlooking the Harbor
More about the Boston Flower and Garden Show
First Fridays at MFA - On Hold Right Now
Art, music, and a cash bar featuring signature cocktails, wine, and tapas provide the perfect setting for meeting up with friends and making new connections, relaxing, and enjoying the MFA's elegant ambiance. Part social event, part opportunity to enjoy the Museum and the art within it.
When: March 5, 6-9:30pm (and also the first Friday of most months)
Where: Museum of Fine Arts, 465 Huntington Ave, Boston's Fenway neighborhood
Nearest T station: Green Line/Museum
Cost: Tickets required; get free ticket with museum admission ($25)
Must be: 21+
Boston Insider's Tip: Arrive early to get your ticket - they do sell out for this event
A St Patrick's Day Celtic Sojourn - Canceled for 2021
If you're a fan of Brian O'Donovan's Celtic Sojourn program on Boston's WGBH radio or his Celtic Sojourn Christmas celebration, you'll want to be sure to get to his celebration of Irish and Celtic music, dance, and storytelling in A St. Patrick's Day Celtic Sojourn at Sanders Theatre in Cambridge.
When: March 14, Sanders Theatre - 2 shows
Ticket information: website
Boston Underground Film Festival - Canceled for 2021
When: March 25-29
Where: Brattle Theatre, Harvard Square, Cambridge
Closest T station: Red Line/Harvard
More information: website
The Boston Underground Film Festival screens independent, provocative, and experimental films and videos that deliberately push the envelope in style, content, and form.
What can you expect to see? An exciting mixture of experimental feature films, music videos, animations, documentaries, and shorts that celebrate and embrace the controversial, the confrontational, the political, and the alternative visions of their makers and their audiences.
If you're coming specifically for the festival, here are several hotels convenient to Harvard Square to consider: