Boston Labor Day events offer the perfect combination: fireworks over the Harbor, lots of fun things to do, and (usually) sunny fall weather.
Labor Day always falls on the first Monday of September.
That means for 2016, Labor Day takes place on Monday, September 5th.
Because this is a big holiday weekend, you'll also find lots of special events on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
Top Labor Day events for 2016, in addition to the huge Labor Day Weekend fireworks show, include the Boston Arts Festival, the Deutsche Bank PGA Golf Tournament in Norton, Odyssey's and Spirit of Boston's special dinner cruises, Mass Brewers Fest, and special family programs on the USS Constitution.
Best of all, you can find half-price tickets and discount coupons for some of these Labor Day weekend Boston events - especially if you start your planning early.
Half-Price & Discount Tickets for Labor Day Events
These half-price and discount tickets from Goldstar usually go fast, so if you find what you want, don't wait!
- New England Aquarium Whale Watch Cruise @ Boston Harbor Cruises - Full price $35-$51; Goldstar $26 - $39
- Judy Takes Broadway @ Club Cafe - Full price $20-$40; Goldstar $0 - $20
- Sleuth Mystery Scavenger Hunt @ Arts Boston Booth at Faneuil Hall - Full price $35; Goldstar $20
- Sh*t-Faced Shakespeare: Romeo & Juliet @ Oberon - Full price $25; Goldstar $15
- Boston Harbor Islands Picnic Sail on Adirondack III - Full price $80; Goldstar $48
- Inner Harbor Sightseeing Cruise - Northern Lights - Full price $22; Goldstar $13
- Live Music @ Scullers Jazz Club - Full price $35; Goldstar $18
- Boston Harbor Island Cruise - Full price $39; Goldstar $23
- Codzilla Boat Ride @ Boston Harbor - Full price $26-$30; Goldstar $18-$23
- Charles River & Locks Cruise - Full price $24-$28; Goldstar $16-$19
- Boston Harbor Sunset Cruise - Full price $25-$29; Goldstar $12-$17
- Water Country Water Park @ Portsmouth, NH - Full price $42; Goldstar $29
- The Donkey Show @ The Oberon - Full price $35; Goldstar $15
- Blue Man Group @ Charles Playhouse - Full price $79-$104; Goldstar $32-$66
- Nick's Comedy Stop - Boston Theatre District - Full price $20, Goldstar $0 - $10
Labor Day Fireworks over Boston Harbor
Once again, fireworks launched from barges anchored off the North End and Seaport will light up the sky over Boston Harbor to celebrate Labor Day Weekend and the beginning of fall.
The show begins at 9pm on Saturday, September 5. (date and time to be confirmed)
You'll find the best viewing locations along Christopher Columbus Park and Long Wharf in the North End, the South Boston Waterfront (especially around Fan Pier/Seaport), the Downtown Waterfront, and Piers Park in East Boston.
Even better - watch the show over dinner or drinks at Pier 6 (1 8th Street, 617-337-0054) in Charlestown or any of the Seaport waterfront restaurants. You won't be the only one with this idea - so be sure to make reservations!
For hotels with views, consider South Boston waterfront hotels, downtown waterfront hotels, and North End hotels. Compare prices online if you like - but call the hotel of your choice to book a room with a view.
Can't be there in person? New England Cable Network (NECN) will televise the show live beginning at 8:30pm, and MAGIC 106.7 radio will broadcast the music starting at 9pm. (to be confirmed for 2016)
Where to Stay: Hotels in Boston's North End
Red Sox Games on Labor Day Weekend 2016
Ouch! The Boston Red Sox are playing out of town on Labor Day Weekend - no home games at Fenway Park.
But you'll have plenty of other chances to see them at Fenway in September - so get your tickets and, if you're not local, come back to Boston to see them another time:
TicketLiquidator Discount Code - Enter TLSUMMER to get $10 off orders of $350+
Want to Stay Nearby? Hotels near Fenway Park:
If you're coming to a Red Sox game, spend the night or the weekend at one of the nearby hotels, such as the hip Verb Hotel, next to Fenway Park:
More top hotels near Fenway Park:
Deutsche Bank Championship PGA Tour
Golf fans will want to head over to the Deutsche Bank Championship PGA Golf tournament at TPC Boston in Norton, located south of Boston. If you're a golfer, you probably already know that Golf Magazine named TPC Boston one of the "Top 10 Best New Private Clubs" . . . so don't miss this chance to be there for the tournament!
Fun Boston Tours to Take on Labor Day Weekend
Labor Day Sales
Labor Day Sales attract bargain seekers and back to school shoppers throughout the weekend.
Labor Day Weekend at USS Constitution Museum - 2016
Find out what sailors did for fun on the USS Constitution during the War of 1812 at the special Labor's Day Weekend "Fun and Games at Sea" family event at the USS Constitution Museum in the Charlestown Navy Yard, across from "Old Ironsides." Lots of hands-on activities for the entire family. September 3-5, 9am-6pm.
Please note: The USS Constitution is dry-docked for repairs, so free tours include only the ship's top deck at this time. Although the ship is usually closed on Mondays, it will be open for tours on Labor Day this year.
Getting there: Walk along the Freedom Trail (the USS Constitution is one of the Charlestown sites), take the MBTA Water Shuttle from Long Wharf (next to the New England Aquarium), or get there on a 45-minute scenic sightseeing cruise to the Constitution.
Boston Cruises and Tours for Labor Day Weekend
Want to combine sightseeing with a memorable Boston experience? Try these special cruises and tours on Labor Day Weekend:
Boston Harbor 3-hour Dinner Cruise aboard the Odyssey - Enjoy a gourmet meal, dancing, and a romantic evening under the stars. Find out more
Boston Wine Tasting and Walking Tour - Sip wine at top restaurants on this walking tour around one of Boston's historic neighborhoods. Find out more
Boston Harbor 2-hour Dinner Cruise aboard the Spirit of Boston - Enjoy a buffet meal, live DJ and dance party, and sightseeing along the Boston skyline. Find out more
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard - You'll feel like you're in another world when you experience the beauty of Martha's Vineyard. This day trip gives you an easy way to get there - relax while a mini-coach whisks you to the ferry for the 35-minute ride to the island, and then either explore on your own or choose the optional mini-coach tour of the island. Find out more
Fun Things to Do with Kids on Labor Day Weekend in Boston
Family-oriented activities to do with kids in Boston on Labor Day weekend include:
- Whale Watching Cruises - Convenient Downtown Boston Waterfront departures, and guaranteed sightings - Bring your camera!
Go for free if you have a GoBoston card.
Or book a whale watching cruise.
Find out more about Whale Watching cruises
- Swan Boat Rides - Head over to the Public Garden to ride on Boston's famous swan boats. Kids of every age love the nearby Make Way for Ducklings statues.
- Tour the USS Constitution - Kids' favorite Freedom Trail site! Go for free tours given by ship personnel. More about touring the USS Constitution - Please note: these tours are not available in 2015 as the Constitution is dry-docked for repairs
Fun Sightseeing Tours of Boston
Boston Discount Cards for Attractions, Tours, Cruises
Best way to save in Boston. Save 50% or more when you take a Boston Harbor cruise or Duck Boat tour, visit Plimouth Plantation, the New England Aquarium, Museum of Science, Prudential Skywalk Observatory, Museum of Fine Arts, Fenway Park Tour, and more. Compare to find out which one is best for you.