Looking for a hotel in the heart of historical Boston?
These hotels put you just steps away from Boston Common, the Freedom Trail, lively taverns and restaurants dating back to the Revolutionary War, and famed Faneuil Hall Marketplace.
These hotels range from historical to contemporary, from boutique to large, and all offer many luxury touches.
So what do they have in common?
They're just steps from Boston's most popular centrally-located attractions.
Stay at any one of them, and TD Garden, home to the Boston Bruins and Celtics, and venue for many of Boston's top headliner concerts is almost on your doorstep. Beacon Hill and Colonial-era Haymarket are also close.
You'll also love this convenient location if you're arriving at Boston Logan Airport. Just hop on a water taxi for the 8-minute ride to Long Wharf on the downtown waterfront, and then walk or take a 2-minute cab ride to your hotel.
Top photo: Bostonian Boston Hotel lobby
Boston Discovery Guide is a reader-supported publication. When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission at no additional cost for you. Learn more
Omni Parker House Hotel
Located directly on the Freedom Trail across from King's Chapel, the Omni Parker House is one of Boston's most historic hotels, operating since 1855.
From the grand lobby to the 551 guest rooms and suites, the Omni Parker House combines luxury with historic vintage decor.
Be sure to stop by the legendary Parker's Restaurant on the lobby level for a slice of Boston cream pie, which originated here.
The hotel also features a whiskey bar, The Last Hurrah, and Parker's Bar, where Emerson, Thoreau, Hawthorne, Longfellow and other 19th century "Saturday Club" members used to hang out and debate about literature. You can too!
Fifteen Beacon Hotel
XV Beacon's location in an ornate 1903 Beaux Arts building half a block from the Freedom Trail places it squarely within the downtown historic area of Boston.
Fifteen Beacon offers gas fireplaces in all of its 62 rooms, sleekly sophisticated contemporary decor, Frette linens, down comforters, free WiFi, pet-friendly policies, personalized service, and complementary car service.
Lots of people consider the Bostonian Boston's location to be perfect.
Located across from Faneuil Hall Marketplace, the Bostonian is also close to the Freedom Trail and other historic sites, as well as the Waterfront, the North End, and TD Garden.
You can expect super-comfortable rooms, including some with balconies and/or fireplaces.
Hotel AKA Boston Common
Hotel AKA Boston Common offers a Freedom Trail location close to Boston Common and Park Street Church, and across the street from Granary Burying Ground.
AKA Boston Common offers comfortable contemporary furnishings, stunning views, and exceptional pet- and kid-friendly amenities.
Look for hotel bikes to use around the city, a hosted wine reception in the lobby every night, and many luxury touches in your room.
Need more hotel choices?
Map Showing Locations of Hotels in Boston's Historic Center
Use this map to find locations of each hotel in Boston's historic center:
Which Hotel Should You Choose?
With 4 excellent hotels in Boston's historic center, how do you choose which one is best for you?
Here are our suggestions:
- If you want to experience the splendor of a truly historic (but beautifully renovated) hotel, pick Omni Parker House.
Boston Insider's Tips: 1) If you're used to modern hotels with cookie-cutter accommodations, Omni Parker House is the opposite, offering many different types and sizes of accommodations ranging from compact rooms to huge suites at a wide range of price points
2) Parker's Bar, favorite haunt of 19th century American writers, is still a splendid place for a drink or a cup of tea accompanied by Boston Cream Pie
- If you like sleekly contemporary but stylish decor, choose XV Beacon. For luxury (and a fireplace in your room), choose Fifteen Beacon
Boston Insider Tip: XV Beacon's rooftop deck gives you the perfect place to relax under the stars - and it's the ideal spot to watch July 4th fireworks
- If you want an excellent location on Boston's Freedom Trail, AKA Boston will be your choice; you'll also love the family- and pet-friendly policies
Boston Insider Tip: 1) If you're traveling with a canine companion, both AKA Boston Common and XV Beacon are highly regarded for their pet-friendly policies
- If you want to be right next to Faneuil Marketplace, Haymarket, Boston Public Market, the Greenway, and very close to TD Garden and the surrounding nightlife at The Hub on Causeway, choose the Bostonian Boston
Boston Insider Tip: The onsite restaurant, North 26, is excellent
What if none of these factors matters to you?
Make reservations in whichever hotel offers the cheapest rate.
You'll be happy in any of them. And they are all within a few blocks of each other, as well as all the Historical Downtown Boston attractions.
More Excellent Boston Hotels near the Downtown Historic District
These hotels are just a 5-10 minute walk from Boston's historical center:
- Marriott Long Wharf - Great waterfront location next to the New England Aquarium, the Italian North End, wharfs where cruises depart, and the Rose Kennedy Greenway; very nice indoor swimming pool
- Boxer Hotel - Stylish boutique hotel close to TD Garden and Faneuil Marketplace
- Langham Hotel - A luxury option in Boston's Financial District. Look for surprisingly affordable rates at certain times, especially on the weekends
- Godfrey Hotel - Gorgeous new hotel in the heart of Downtown Crossing / Theatre District, located just a few blocks away from the historical area
Map Showing More Hotels near Boston's Historic District
Things to See & Do near the Downtown Historical District
Things to Do in Boston during Your Stay
Boston Hotel Map
Enter your travel dates to see hotels available rooms and get accurate rates.
More Boston hotels: All Boston Hotels - Newest Hotels - Deals & Discounts - Theatre District Hotels - Boston Marathon - Hotels with Fireplaces - Seaport/CruisePort Hotels - New Year's Eve Packages - Inexpensive Hotels - Discount Hotels - Back Bay Hotels - Hotels near Fireworks - Hotels with Outdoor Pools - Faneuil Market Hotels - Valentine's Day Packages - Downtown Boston - Park & Fly - Airport Hotels - Waterfront - Seaport - Historic Downtown - Suburban Hotels - Fenway Park Hotels - TD Garden Hotels - Gillette Stadium Hotels - Financial District
More Articles about Boston Hotels
- Boston Logan Airport Hotels - Did you know you can save on rates by staying at the airport, only an 8-minute water taxi ride to Downtown Boston?
- Inexpensive Boston Hotels - Where to look for cheap and discounted hotel rates in the pricey Boston hotel market
- Water Taxis from Logan Airport to Boston - The fastest way to get to Downtown Boston from the Airport
Need a Boston Hotel or Apartment?
Use this handy map from Booking.com to find the perfect place to stay. Just enter your dates to find what's available, see the best rates, and make your reservations.