Can you recommend some hotels that are within walking distance of Boston's fireworks and the Pops Concert? 3 star and above -- Thanks!
Top photo: July 4th Pops Concert at the Hatch Shell in Boston, (c) Boston Discovery Guide
Boston Discovery Guide is a reader-supported publication. When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission at no additional cost for you. Learn more
Hi Paul - Happy to! There are lots of excellent 3-star and up hotel choices within an easy 10-15 minute walk of the July 4th festivities.
The Boston Pops concert is at the Hatch Shell on the Boston Esplanade (as you probably already know), and the Independence Day fireworks are set off on a barge in the Charles River not far from the Hatch Shell.
Normally, the best way to get to the Hatch Shell by foot from the Boston side of the river is to use the Fiedler Footbridge (near Arlington Street) or the Charles Street Footbridge near Mass General and the Longfellow Bridge to cross Storrow Drive and walk over to the Esplanade. However, both are closed on July 4th, so instead, you can walk over to the Esplanade using the Dartmouth, Fairfield, or Mass Ave Footbridges to the west of the Hatch Shell. From the east, you would take the Blossom Street Footbridge near MGH/Lederman Park.
There are a number of 3 star and higher hotels in Back Bay, especially near Copley Square, as well as a couple in the Park Square area (on the other side of the Public Garden), and several in Beacon Hill and the West End. Most are about a 10-15 minute walk from the Hatch Shell.
Here are the hotels for each star level:
3 - 3.5 Star Hotels
- Sheraton - Huge business hotel on Boylston St adjacent to Prudential Center), with some rooms on upper floors overlooking the Charles River - Back Bay
- Charlesmark - Small boutique hotel on Boylston St - books up quickly, as it is relatively inexpensive compared with others nearby - Back Bay
- Beacon Hill Hotel - Small boutique hotel in Beacon Hill
- Park Plaza - In the Park Square area, two short blocks Public Garden
4 - 5 Star Hotels
- Newbury Boston - Luxury hotel overlooking the Public Garden; used to be the Taj Boston and before that, the Ritz-Carlton - Back Bay
- Whitney Hotel - New luxury boutique hotel on Charles Street in Beacon Hill
- Lenox Hotel - Older, known for top-notch personalized service - close to Copley Square, Back Bay
- Copley Square Hotel - Recently renovated
- Liberty Hotel - West End, just across Cambridge Street from Beacon Hill - about a 10 minute walk down Charles St to the Hatch Shell - very trendy - located in an old jail next to Mass General
- Westin Copley Place - Very nice, right in Copley Square
- Four Seasons Boston - Park Square - overlooks Public Garden - luxurious and usually pricey - 5 stars
Here is a hotel map from Booking.com that gives you a quick, easy way to see locations. Enter the dates for your stay, and you'll see the cheapest rates for hotels available on your dates:
Additional hotels are listed on our Hotels for Boston Fireworks page, including some in Cambridge (5 minute ride away by subway on the T's Red Line). They're slightly farther from the Hatch Shell, but certainly within easy walking distance.
If you book early, you'll probably see some special packages and discount deals listed, especially if you book early. The July 4th holiday usually attracts lots of visitors to Boston so closer to the holiday, rates rise - sometimes a lot.
Normally, the best way to get to the Hatch Shell by foot from the Boston side of the river is to use the Fiedler Footbridge (near Arlington Street) or the Charles Street Footbridge near Mass General and the Longfellow Bridge to cross Storrow Drive and walk over to the Esplanade.
However, both of these footbridges are closed on July 4th, so instead, you can walk over to the Esplanade using the Dartmouth, Fairfield, or Mass Ave Footbridges to the west of the Hatch Shell. From the east, you would take the Blossom Street Footbridge near MGH/Lederman Park.
Best wishes for a great time at the concert and fireworks!
More Fun Things to Do in Boston during the Summer
More Articles about Hotels for Special Boston Events
Need a Boston Hotel or Apartment?
Use this handy map from Booking.com to find the perfect place to stay. Just enter your dates to find what's available, see the best rates, and make your reservations.